Tuesday, March 20, 2012

vintage haberdashery


I found an awesome yarn shop on a short road trip to Pennsylvania yesterday.  It was called Tucker's Yarns in Allentown. It was a giant shop frozen in time, it was so amazing. I felt like I took a time machine back to the 70's. All the popular crafts from that time period were still hanging on the walls seemingly untouched for decades! Sadly, I didn't take any pictures because I forgot my camera home (and don't have a smart phone yet). The gorgeous packaging of the products kept my mouth agape for most of the time I was shopping.  They had these balls of angora yarn from France (from 1960-70?) packaged in boxes with an adorable illustration of a bunny on it. I was about to buy it just because of the awesome box but then realized it was 14.99/ ball, not per box. I'm definitely a sucker for packaging but $90 for the box was too rich for my blood. Anywhoooooo....if you are in the area you must go check it out...it is amazing. They were well stocked with new yarns as well.  I am already itching to go back. Also what was so cool is that almost all the vintage items were made in the USA or imported from Europe.

I picked up a spool of strawberry ribbon made in N.J., Candy colored safety pins made in Connecticut, and buttons from Garden City, NY.!


I want to go back already and keep treasure hunting! 

Pintique

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh wow--this place sounds amazing! I'm sure it was tough to not buy a lot more. Love your choices, especially the turquoise safety pins. And cool to see items from back when things were still made in the USA (and Garden City? On Long Island near where I grew up; never would have imagined buttons being manufactured there!).

9:30 PM  
Blogger hapi-ness said...

ooooh most jealous! I LOVE those coloured safety pins (of all things!) I'd love it if we had somewhere like this in robin hood country! xx

3:19 PM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

I'm sure you have a bunch of awesome old fashioned shops like this in the UK! I found this one by chance, it is about 2.5 hours away from my home.

4:04 PM  
Blogger hapi-ness said...

nothing in my neck of the woods that i'm aware of XD i'll have to explore further afield! x

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anna Lin said...

Wow,how lovely safty pins!I also want to see the ribbons you mentioned above.

Best regards,
Anna Lin

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home