Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tip of the day: Smell your jeans before you buy them!

Especially if they are from Joe Fresh. Sal bought 2 pairs of jeans that became unwearable after the first wash. It definitely had a Not-so-FRESH feeling. It reeked of a metallic fishy chemical. 6-7-8 washes later and they still smelled like hell and "someone" washed them with my jeans and now they're all contaminated! Maybe it is the dye? We put the 2 pairs of toxic jeans out to pasture last night while I'm working on decontaminating the rest of the batch. I read a tip to soak them with borax and/or baking soda. After a quick online search I found that new clothes are often covered with formaldehyde to keep them from wrinkling or becoming mildewed during shipping. Oh, my friend formaldehyde. I wonder if this was the smell??

More info on chemicals on clothing: HERE

I feel like if we don't want to be poisoned we need to buy organic fabric and DIY. Which I still wonder if that fabric is sprayed with something too after manufacturing... That's it, I have to grow my own cotton in the backyard (when I get one) and spin and weave it myself! I will ask my guests to bring over their looms when they come over.

Labels:


2 Comments:

Blogger bloodybunny said...

I would suggest to soak the pants in a bucket with a mix of water/vinegar. And wash it the next day.
I do this when I want to rescue my sport shirts, which aren´t smelling "fresh" after the washing machine.
I was afraid the colors would bleach, but...nope,all fine.

1:58 PM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

If I run into this problem again I will definitely try this method. These 2 pairs were seriously bad news if the chemical smell didn't wash out after 8 cleaning cycles.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home