Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade ice cream - Round 2 - cheaper version



Here's a pic of some homemade ice cream I made last night. I wanted to test out the Trader Joe's whipping cream we had in the fridge. So after hand whisking the cream I added it to the blender with frozen bananas, vanilla extract, milk, sugar, and ginger powder. After freezing it over night I gave it a taste today, pretty good, but it left a fatty film on the roof of my mouth. Sounds appetizing, huh...as you can imagine it got sickening pretty quick. Next time I want to try adding an egg (is that safe?) and fresh ginger and leave out the bananas. The shelf stable whipping cream was way cheaper than fresh cream, I think it was $.99? 

UPDATE:
On second thought...I will stick to real cream next time. The TJ whipping cream contains carrageenan (seaweed extract) and I just read that this thickening additive is linked to some nasty stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home