Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Goal for the Summer: make a dress!


I want to try to make my first dress at some point this Summer. I've been wanting to make myself some clothing for um..let's see now... 20 years!

The smiling apples fabric is available in my Spoonflower shop if anyone is interested. I had the test swatch (pictured) printed on the organic knit fabric they have, it came out nice and soft. It might be difficult working with knits though so I might order some regular quilting weight fabric of this design for the dress. I still need to find some fabric for the top blue-grey part, maybe the blue-grey is too 1890's peasant ladyish?...


5 Comments:

Anonymous heidi said...

The dress looks like it will be amazing! I love the color and your fabric from Spoonflower, can't wait to see it when it is finished.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

This is also my summer goal. I'm buying my first sewing machine tomorrow. EEEEK!

12:15 AM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

Awesome! Show me when you're done, I'd love to see it!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

M, I'm totally rooting you on to make a dress. If this is your very first dress, I recommend using the same pattern, but making the very first one without piping and with a less beloved fabric. It'll take some pressure off of you.

I adore sewing and I've been doing it since I was 4 years old - AND I still get frustrated that I can't get perfect results like professional seamstresses do. I had to put a moratorium on sewing clothing for a few years b/c I was expecting myself to sew the same way someone who sews 8 hours a day does. Nowadays, I'm making the world's simpest pattern and being very fastidious about my stitching to keep my oh-so-perfectionistic self from freaking out.

AND definitely don't sew with a knit right out of the gate. Woven fabrics are far easier to sew first.

Hope the unsolicited advice finds you well - totally want you to sew and totally want you to start out with a success with less frustration.

12:31 PM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

Thank you, thank you for your unsolicited advice!:D I can use all the help/tips I can get!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home