Wednesday, April 01, 2009

!!!!WANT!!!! NEEED!!!


Oh. my. gourdation. Have you seen this? A self-contained screen printing machine!!!

After I took a screen printing class back in '07 (geez, time flies!) I had intentions of making a micro screen printing set-up in my apt. I bought most of the supplies and modified a light box with blacklights to be an exposure unit, but never got around to actually burning my own screens (it has been sitting there for a year and a half). Also, cleaning out screens in my bathtub is backbreaking & messy. Tonight I was looking over my mail and in a Michael's circular they mention this Yudu contraption. Does anyone have this?! It looks awesome!! I am thinking about bidding for one on ebay, but after the busted-scooba-after-one-month-of-usage fiasco of '07, I don't know if that is a good idea.

8 Comments:

Blogger dabney said...

hi there-

i don't have one, but have been following heatherjeany's initial reactions to it via facebook. she mentions it on the blog www.artsinri.com and i think will update once she's had some practice. i'm sure you could email her for more info and details.

hope that helps :)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Mod and Mint said...

When i heard about it i had the same reaction as you: !!!!WANT!!!! NEEED!!!
hihi
Maybe this youtube movie helps in deciding to purchase or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T_s7Bqg6a4&feature=related

1:31 PM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

I just really like the idea of the built in exposure unit. For the demo it looks like I would be able to use that to burn traditional screens as well. Also I like that the chemical part is contained on a sheet of paper. The downside is that it looks ginormous and the accessories are really expensive! hmmmm....

1:54 PM  
Blogger bloodybunny said...

I would choose the traditional way,
oldschool screenprinting.
I would buy a screen and
screen printing clamps at ebay. Then I would expose the screen at a studio and print at home.
So you could use solvent-free inks and it´s not so expensive like the japanese mini inks + screens.

this gocco thing is lovely but there are so many things that are :/
the price, the size, always much shipping costs...

2:55 PM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

Gulp, I ended up buying it on ebay for $190 (shipping included). For studio time over here they charge like $30/hr. So this machine would be the same price as for 1 day at the studio using their equipment. I think I will be able to use the water based inks that I already own, so that will keep the cost down a bit.

3:35 PM  
Blogger bloodybunny said...

:)
Don´t worry! I am sure you will love it.
Did you saw that they don´t recommend other inks. I read it at their webpage. So I would buy the yudu inks, so you don´t ruin your screens.
Wow- 30$/h is expensive!!!

I am looking forward to your homeprinted things.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Amy Nieto said...

Yeah I saw that. It seems rad. I assume from your envelope that you've used it already.

11:32 PM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

I did use it once, but not on the envelope, the print on the envelope was from the screenprinting class I took a while back.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home