Monday, May 26, 2008

The case of the missing birdy.


My brother gave me this baby bird that he found lost by his apartment to restore back to health. What gave him the idea that a woman who kills all her house plants can help this birdy? My first plan of action was to offer the birdy a swimming pool. He wasn't into it. Then I tried to feed him some bread crumbs with some tweezers and he just gave me the hairy eyeball. So I decided I have to build him a nest and return him to the wilderness of Brooklyn.  I crocheted him a nest and I filled it with some leaves so it would be nice and cozy and sprinkled some bread crumbs inside if he decided he was hungry and placed him on a garage rooftop.  I awoke in the morning to find the impromptu bird nest empty.  Now the question I propose to you is what happened to the little birdy? I can't stop thinking about it.

a) Did I restore him back to health and he flew away?
b) Did he blow away on one of the leaves like a magic carpet?
c) Did his momma come and pick him up?
d) Was he a cat appetizer?

I didn't find any lifeless bird bods anywhere so I am hoping that he miraculously flew away on his own.


8 Comments:

Blogger Kayta Hackman said...

Oh the poor birdy! I would have kept it and tamed it so it could be my friend.
Sounded like the little bird had a bit of an attitude though if it snobbed your pool and eyeballed your breadcrumbs..

8:17 PM  
Blogger Emily Dorchak said...

aww~ that is so cute! love berdies. im sure he loved his nesty u made him. lolz.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Priceless story. If anyone asks me what type of person Marilyn is, I will say that she's the type of person who crochets nests for lost birdies. That says it all.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cute story but you should have taken it to, or at least called a shelter. gives it a better chance of survival.

2:38 AM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

This happened during the night. I didn't want to hold on to the bird too long because it wasn't taking food or water from me and I wanted to give it a chance to be fed by its fellow birds.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My sweet Kristine found a little bird much like yours fluttering against the glass in a parking garage stairwell here in Madison last summer. It was obviously trying to find a way out, and wasn't succeeding.

She actually reached out and caught it in her hands, gently, and carried it to the open air. It flew away. Since then, her car has yet to be pooped on. I think the word's gotten out.

You'll have to keep an eye out for subtle signs of appreciation from Bird Nation.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

bread isn't really good for birds. it's got next to no nutrition they can use. the best thing to do when you find a wild bird is to leave it be, but if you feel like you need to do something look up your local animal control or any local bird rehabbers in the area and see who can take them in...i work in an aviary, so that's my qualification for knowing these things i guess. i just know everyone tries the bread right away but there really is nothing beneficial in it.

seeds, fruit (depending). water is always a good idea. if you look up the species online you can find out if they eat fruit and then just slice up some apple. apple has high water content too so it will nourish and hydrate them at the same time.

6:00 PM  
Blogger M. Patrizio said...

Thanks for the info Caitlin! Now I will know what to do for the next time!

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home